Monday, March 27, 2023

Gunfire In The Shining City (Civis Americanus Sum IV.)

 "You were just babies then!" she said.

"What?" I said.
"You were just babies in the war— like the ones upstairs!"
I nodded that this was true. We had been foolish virgins in the war, right at the end of childhood.
"But you're not going to write it that way, are you." This wasn't a question. It was an accusation.
"I — I don't know," I said.
"Well I know," she said. "You'll pretend you were men instead of babies, and you'll be portrayed in the movies by Frank Sinatra and John Wayne or some of those other glamorous, war-loving, dirty old men. And war will look just wonderful, so we'll have a lot more of them. And they'll be fought by babies like the babies upstairs." So then I understood. It was war that made her so angry. She didn't want her babies or anybody else's babies killed in wars. And she thought wars were partly encouraged by books and movies.
So I held up my right hand and I made her a promise: "Mary," I said, "I don't think this book of mine is ever going to be finished. I must have written five thousand pages by now, and thrown them all away. If I ever do finish it, though, I give you my word of honor: there won't be a part for Frank Sinatra or John Wayne.
"I tell you what," I said, "I'll call it The Children's Crusade." She was my friend after that.

~From the novel Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut 

I just saw this.

There was a school shooting in Nashville, TN this morning.

I wasn't even going to comment on it until I saw these posts..."Conservatives" gleefully blaming everybody from Demons to the "Left" to Transgender people. I've not seen one damn thing about the shooter other than that the shooter was female, had detailed plans and some kind of manifesto and that she was armed with two legally-purchased AR-15 rifles and she may have been a student at the school at some so-far unspecified point. The shooter was also killed in a firefight with the cops.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we don't know enough to comment on anything else yet, but it seems fair to say that too-easy of access to weapons was probably a big contributing factor here.

Benny Johnson, lying sack of shit that he is, seems sure that some kind of transgender terrorist may be the cause.

Now, hold the fuck on. Maybe it's just me and maybe I'm out of the loop but I do follow these kinds of topic and I've never heard of a transgender terrorist. For that matter, it seems rare enough that a transgender person, in my experience, even engages in violence...let alone deadly violence.

In point of fact, in my experience anybody that's gender-queer, non-binary, transgender or anything like that tends to be less likely by far than, you know, straight white Christian men...to want to hurt anybody at all, much less kids.

I mean, for fuck's sake most people with even the slightest degree of sanity seem a bit wigged out that this is only the fourth mass-shooting since 1978 committed by a woman.

Another poster gleefully opines that "The Left" supposedly "Loves" that Christian kids were murdered and hopes they were white "to." 

Whatever that even means.

Like, seriously, what part of "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is so hard for these idiots?

They're openly casting about for an excuse to hurt liberals and transgender people but it's the "Left" that "loves" murder? 

Sure, Comrade. Sure.

Somebody then comes along and points out the obvious, that the shooter was a white Christian with a connection to the school. You know, basic logic when it comes to things like shootings...a lot of which do tend to happen within groups.

This in fact being something I had pointed out to me during training way back in 1993.

And then the very next person responding just goes off on yet another random spew about transgender stuff. Like, Gender Dysphoria doesn't make people kill people! That's not some Woke shit, that's "Intro Psych" which I took in, ya know, 1998.

You people may, if you like, go fuck yourselves.

And insofar as people have said LGBT people or anybody else needs to "take up arms" in the last week or so, that's been qualified by "get training" and "in self-defense." 

Because...and yeah I know I'm just an old former conservative Republican Air Force Veteran here...if I've observed anything about liberals in my life it's that they're not exactly known for random deadly violence. Likewise, there absolutely is a certain type of "Conservative" that goes around goat-eager for a chance to kill somebody because they think it'll make them "tough" or some shit.

Yet at the same time they're also obsessed with the idea of persecution, because they think Jesus will come back or they'll get money later or it'll make them be "right" or something. I don't know, I can't fit my head far enough up my own ass to see these fucking people's point of view.

And then they wonder why they end up being treated for PTSD by a prison psychologist when they kill somebody and get locked up and it finally sets in what they did and they start waking up screaming in the middle of the night.

I was a Christian for most of my life. I'm a veteran. What can I say, as a young man I was bored. As a young conservative I believed in public service. When I've said things like "Civis Americanus Sum" (I am an American Citizen) it's because I believe in values of citizenship, civilization, and subsidiarity. More to the point, I've always believed in practicing what I preach as best I can. 

More than one morning during my own service I woke up and literally prayed to Jesus that I wouldn't have to kill somebody that day. I had a couple of sporty moments, but thank God it never came to that

For fuck's sake I'm a gun guy, I've been shooting since I was a kid. I'm proud of the fact that I've never had to kill anybody.

And then I ended up with PTSD from religious craziness a few years later anyway.

Goddamn, what's wrong with you fucking people and why are you so hell-bent on inflicting this shit on the universe?

What did the rest of us do? Why should we have to live in your brutal dystopia?

And again, I say that as a gun owner, a trained killer, a veteran.

You fuckers want to act like this, why don't you just go join the Russians? Go and be the Orc Barbarians that you want to be, trying to tear down the Shining City.

At least then, you'd be being honest.

Слава Україна!

Three

It was right here, in the waters around us, where the American experiment began. As the earliest settlers arrived on the shores of Boston and Salem and Plymouth, they dreamed of building a City upon a Hill. And the world watched, waiting to see if this improbable idea called America would succeed. More than half of you represent the very first member of your family to ever attend college. In the most diverse university in all of New England, I look out at a sea of faces that are African-American and Hispanic-American and Asian-American and Arab-American. I see students that have come here from over 100 different countries, believing like those first settlers that they too could find a home in this City on a Hill—that they too could find success in this unlikeliest of places. ~Barack Obama




No comments:

Post a Comment