Monday, September 28, 2020

Why American Revelation? (American Revelation V: Prequel One.)

 

Dillon: Why should I put my ass on the line for you?
Ripley: Your ass is already on the line. The only question is... what are you gonna do about it?
~From Alien 3

I keep seeing stuff like this.

Kyle Rittenhouse did nothing wrong.

Kyle's Mom got a standing ovation at a Republican women's conference in Waukesha, WI.

Conservatives, openly and loudly defending a literal murderer who also broke several other laws just to get there to kill those people, and who should never have had a weapon in the first place. 

Whatever happened to "Thou Shalt Not Kill?"

They are literally saying he didn't do anything wrong. If you believe the Ten Commandments, if you believe God, he did.

And while I'm at it, what happened to not dressing like a bad impression of what you think Mr. Pink's stunt double was supposed to look like?

His body armor plate holder is on backwards, the fuck is that, a Betsy Ross flag? Even assuming some level of protection, keeping your cell phone holder attached to your chest seems stupid. What the fuck is that helmet, and...did he cut the knock-off camouflage pants so that people could see his flag underwear?

Ya know what, I don't even want to speculate what those kneepads are actually *For* or why this dude might be planning on spending time on his knees. I don't even want to know.

Might as well throw in that his pants aren't bloused and he's wearing incorrect footwear too. Those shoes would be awful in an actual battlespace.

It might not seem like a big deal, but packing your gear properly, dressing functionally and following basic procedures can in fact mean the difference between life and death. Given his lack of attention to detail (or even of caring whether or not he looks like a fucking idiot, I'm pretty damned sure I don't want to see what kind of shape this asshole's weapons are in.

You know, for want of a nail, and all that. If you can't be trusted with the small things, why should anybody trust you with anything else?

Like social policy, for example.

This is America, in the modern world, you have to consider that there are people other than your group who do not believe the same things that you do. And that this is perfectly fine. It's the natural order of things that people should damned well be free to make their own choices and if they don't like your shitty dogma or your small, mean, selfish god...then they have the choice not to follow.

If "All lives matter" why is this soft-handed bitch in the snipped Tweet here wasting his day hawking stickers and wearing camouflage that seriously suggest that no lives matter to him, only dogma.

After all, most of these people take "We are but dust and shadow" as more of a Gospel than the actual Gospel, without actually knowing the words, or who wrote them down. It's really kind of sad to this guy who had to learn this stuff in elementary school.

I saw this earlier today. Just the Pope doing his actual job, saying that things like personal security should be based on something other than the possession of weapons.

As I understand it, Pope Francis worked as a bar bouncer at one time, so he knows a little about the use of force. 

Yet, as one would expect of a Catholic Priest, of a Christian...he calls the faithful and the world to do something better than that. You know, like Jesus did. It shouldn't be a hard lift, this is the Pope's actual job. This is what every Pope that I can remember all the way back to John Paul II has done...and, thank God, has apparently actually believed. I spent most of my life as a conservative, and take it as a given that peace is better than war. This belief is only reinforced by seeing what my friends who went to war had to deal with, and how it still affected them well after the events in question.

But of course, right on schedule, here's two American cousin-humpers trying to argue theology with the Pope, because after al, what would the Vicar of Christ know about Christianity?

Lance's Bio pretty much was all about how he loves Jesus. Austin's was about how only bad Catholics are Democrats and all the good Catholics are Republicans.

I'll remember that the next time some Reverend Chucklefuck is on TV calling Catholics pagans or Satanists and their religion the Antichrist. 

But ya know, it's hard to escape the conclusion that these people are stupid. The Cold War ended in 1989. Communism hasn't been a thing since Christmas of 1991. Even the Chinese and Vietnamese aren't Communists anymore.

Yet these fucking people long to be staring down the Red Army through the firing ports in their bunkers. As a child of the late Cold War, I'll never understand this.

Why do these people want to live in fear?
And how and why do these fucking morons see Donald Trump as more of a guarantor of their earthly and spiritual security than Jesus Christ, or the Pope? I mean, isn't it better to not have to worry about killing people? 

Christianity was integral to the conservatism I was raised with. The Ten Commandments, among other doctrines, are integral to Christianity. Being secure in your beliefs and not living in fear was also a thing that I was taught was important.

And I'm going to be honest here, yes, a certain amount of masculinity was important as well, if you were a man.

If somebody spent $70,000 in one year, hell, in a lifetime...on their hair, and they're a dude, the conservatism I was taught compels me to question their sexuality. 

When I saw some of the stuff that came out of the NYT article about Trump's taxes I was like "What the fuck?" But the hair thing, most of all. Perhaps more to the point, my adrift-in-the-timestream brain in the 21st century understands that if you spend $70,000 on hair...and it looks like that...the gay dudes are probably going to be laughing even harder about it than I am. I'd like to note for the record that I fully support them in this, and that if I spent that much money on my hair and it looks like Donald Trump's hair does, I'd want my money back.

By comparison I bought a comb back in 1991 for $2 that I'm still using. I think the most I've ever spent on a bottle of shampoo was $8, and I spend an average of $20 for a haircut a couple times a year, and that's when I don't just take a pair of clippers and trim it down to the standard military high and tight...or more often these days, just shave it all off because then I don't have to screw around with it again for awhile.

But, these fucking people think a guy who spends $70,000 a year on his hair, who cheats on his taxes, who has a decorating aesthetic that would embarrass Liberace, who sold America out to the Russians, and who wants to fuck his own daughter is going to Immanentize some sort of Conservative Eschaton for them?

That's only true if it never really was about any of the stuff that they ever said it was about. That is only the truth if it was all a lie and the important thing was the racism.

Maybe you can live with that, but I can't.

Maybe you can live with hundreds of thousands of preventable deaths from a virus, a leader who doesn't lead and who doesn't fulfill basic societal obligations, or a rising tide of right-wing extremism or a President that kowtows to the Russians and pals around with dictators, but I can't and I won't.

Whether you know it or not, your own ass is on the line right along with mine.

And I'll tell you one thing for sure, the behavior of lots of my fellow men in this time is making me start to believe in Revelation again.

In the Book of Revelation, it speaks about how with God literally raining judgment down from the heavens people go on believing in the false religion of the Beast, even though they can see and should know exactly what is happening.

I never thought I'd see anything comparable to that in real life.

And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts. ~Revelation 9:20-21





No comments:

Post a Comment