Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Red State (Gravity, Twelve.)

If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth. And this idea that government is beholden to the people, that it has no other source of power except to sovereign people, is still the newest and most unique idea in all the long history of man's relation to man. This is the issue of this election. Whether we believe in our capacity for self-government or whether we abandon the American revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite in a far-distant capital can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves. ~Ronald Reagan

...

I coulda swore I seen the motherfucker in my cell, going through my personal effects

He fingers, fingering my cigarettes
Came out like nothing was happening whistling he tune!
So I mushed his ass, like, "Move, motherfucker, make room!"
"Hey, ain't that my cigarette hanging off the tip of yo' lip?"
Didn't even give him a chance for he confession
Just leveled his ass with all that aggression!
Lefts, rights, to the dolex
Foots to the chest
Uppercuts to the grill
I'm like "Kill!"
He's like "Chill!"
Take that for me even bein' in this place
Take that for that fucking CO baton across my face
Feel that for that lawyer who don't give two fucks about me!
And feel this, feel this! 

For me being enslaved by poverty! 

Motherfucker
Gimme them damn cigarettes
Oh, these is Marlboros
I don't smoke these.

~Arnold "Poet" Jackson, from the HBO Series "Oz" S1, E1 "The Routine."

Again, I keep seeing this shit.

Republicans can't stop talking about how great El Salvador is.

And how much America sucks, by comparison.

Let's see, what's great about El Salvador? The fact that one out of 45 people is in prison or the whole thing that, in making Bitcoin legal tender down there, they're risking wrecking their own economy, which can't really afford any more wrecking than it already has had to deal with?? Is that the modern Republican Party's idea of "Greatness??"

Fuck, that country "Owned The Libs" so hard that they don't even have their own currency anymore, they use ours.

I mean, sure, they had a massively successful anti-gang crackdown...but what's the difference, even in terms of physical safety, when you exchange one group of thugs in your Barrio for another, bigger and vastly better armed group of thugs in San Salvador??

And those thugs control the State now.

Think about that, for a second.

Because that...that right there...is what Matt Gaetz is really spanking the monkey to. 

He knows he can't and won't get that in America...but don't think the idea of a "Free Republic Of Florida" that consists of part or all of his State having seceded from America...hasn't crossed his mind.

Likewise, if things continue to go bad for MAGA and Republicans here in America, don't think that fucker wasn't checking out the local women, investigating the housing situation in San Salvador's richer neighborhoods and seeing what of his bullshit the locals would tolerate. (Also probably sampling the local cocaine and prostitutes, but I digress.)

Among other things, these fucking people are looking for a safe getaway country now that Trump has been convicted and faces house arrest or prison.

Sorry, but I used to actually be a conservative. I'm skeptical of State Power in a lot of ways and I say that as a veteran. Honestly, I say that because I've seen how my government just blows through money to no purpose whatever and because I've seen what happens when politics goes too far off the rails and that results in civil wars and ethnic conflicts.

And if you don't think what happened in Bosnia could happen here...I give you Baraboo, Wisconsin.

A school official got assaulted simply for being Black.

Regarding El Salvador, Nayib Bukele talks up a bunch of Libertarian horseshit, but he's a statist on a scale that boggles the mind. You don't build the world's biggest prison without massive State Power.

Regarding America...you don't perpetuate bigotries like racism or sexism to this degree without there being political and state power behind it, either.

Republicans just think they'll always be the Teniente holding the MAC-10...somewhere, if not here. Hence their renewed interest in Latin American Banana Republics.

Yeah, I get it, Nayib Bukele was reelected by a massive margin. Has it ever crossed your mind that the Salvadoran government itself operates on the theory that most of the Leftists left the country?? Believe it or not they've had further-right governments than Nayib Bukele's before this and things were still a soup sandwich.

And that is, to a great extent, the fault of decades of US policy, not just over a decade of bloody civil war...but decades of economic exploitation before that. These fucking people are telling on themselves. And they figure they'll find some way down there to keep being the exploiters, or they wouldn't be there.

Oh, and here's Tommy Tube-steak, blowing Vladimir Putin and spewing Kremlin talking points on Steve Bannon's show...again. I guess if the Trump thing falls apart or if El Salvador is a bust, they'll always have Russia

I'll never understand how it got that way. I can remember when these fucking people would have looked at a KGB agent like Vladimir Putin as if he was somebody who could conjure up devils.

What the fuck changed?? It sure wasn't me.

Ya know, I'm old enough to remember when anybody in American politics talking like this would've been run out of American politics and public life and would've been lucky to get a job cleaning toilets afterwards.

Especially in Alabama.

Especially if they claimed at any point to have been a Republican.

Reagan Wept.

Ya know, bowing down before the Hammer And Sickle just takes this whole "Red State" thing way too far.

I can remember when the standard line was "You like the Soviet Union so much, Comrade, why don't you move there?? See how you like it!"

But they won't be top dog in Russia, Re-Sovietized or otherwise.

That spot's taken.

And they know it, oh yes, they do...which is why they're looking so hard at coffee plantations and jungle haciendas and why Kimmy Gargoyle was cuddling up to some Salvadoran Senorita at whatever event they were at.

Yes, Republicans are perfectly willing to fall on their own swords and be the bottom bitch, if they have to, in order to perpetuate the social meme of bigotry...to "Own The Libs" even if it kills them. Just like when nobody else stepped up to die of COVID-19 in vast numbers, Republicans themselves became antivaxxers and health woo purveyors and they died in great numbers...and a lot of them are still antivaxxers pitching health and wellness woo.

But not yet, not if they can help it.

Unless...they can get oafs like Byron Donalds to take the fall first so they can map out all the loopholes and systems of privilege and shit, but at his own expense, and not theirs.

Like I said, it's not Gravity that kills you, it's that sudden stop at the bottom.

You live in a perfectly well workable...if not exactly perfect...system now, Byron. Why go back to one where in a state like Florida, you'd never even be permitted to vote if the Rednecks had their way, much less be their Congressman.

What's even the damn point??

Meanwhile anybody who actually matters is busy buttering up the guy who called himself the "World's Coolest Dictator" while anybody who doesn't is stuck here ranting about Communists taking over America.

Except that Communism hasn't been a thing since 1989.

And yet Tommy Tuberville just got caught blowing the dude who's trying to bring that shit back.

Republicans hate America, and don't you ever forget it.
You either believe in freedom, or you don't. 

You're either willing to fight for freedom, or you're not.

Republicans picked the side they're on, and it ain't America's.

And they're being amazingly open about that, like they think nothing will happen. 

And when something does, they'll say that's why America is bad, too.

When is enough, going to be enough??

Слава Україна!

My black face fades,
hiding inside the black granite.
I said I wouldn't
dammit: No tears.
I'm stone. I'm flesh.
My clouded reflection eyes me
like a bird of prey, the profile of night slanted against morning.

I turn this way—the stone lets me go.
I turn that way—I'm inside
the Vietnam Veterans Memorial
again, depending on the light
to make a difference.
I go down the 58,022 names,
half-expecting to find
my own in letters like smoke.

I touch the name Andrew Johnson; I see the booby trap's white flash.
Names shimmer on a woman's blouse
but when she walks away
the names stay on the wall.
Brushstrokes flash, a red bird's
wings cutting across my stare.
The sky. A plane in the sky.
A white vet's image floats
closer to me, then his pale eyes
look through mine. I'm a window.
He's lost his right arm
inside the stone. In the black mirror
a woman’s trying to erase names:
No, she's brushing a boy's hair.
~Facing It, by Yusef Komunyakaa, US Army Veteran

Eleven

When men stop believing in God, it isn't that they then believe in nothing: they believe in everything. ~Umberto Eco

No comments:

Post a Comment