Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Breakdown (American Revelation X: Ten.)

If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth. And this idea that government is beholden to the people, that it has no other source of power except to sovereign people, is still the newest and most unique idea in all the long history of man's relation to man. This is the issue of this election. Whether we believe in our capacity for self-government or whether we abandon the American revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite in a far-distant capital can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves. ~Ronald Reagan

I saw this the other day.

Evidently, over the weekend Christian Walker, Herschel Walker's son, called him out for abuse and violence toward his own family members as well as paying for an abortion for his girlfriend. Christian said his Dad should not have run for the Senate. As I understand it, this was an open secret among Georgia Republicans, too. Now, mind you, despite the fact that he's gay...until last weekend Christian has been a major stan for his Dad so far as I know.

I read his posts, I saw real pain there. I've been in some variation of where that kid's at several times in my life, either from family issues, my own stupidity and self-destructive bent when I was younger, getting divorced...or just plain old depression.

And as I've said multiple times, I'm rather sure without antidepressants and mental health care and ultimately, changing jobs and moving to a less-crazy environment, I'd be dead by now. 

I know pain when I see it.

On the other hand...

Dana Loesch (of NRA clenched-fist-of-civil-war-ad infamy) doesn't care about any of that. She just wants control of the Senate. She actively made excuses for Herschel paying for an abortion and called the ex-girlfriend a "Broad" and a "Skank." As usual, the Republican attitude is "Fuck you, now give me what I want."

And frankly, that entitled-ass, stank-ass attitude is exactly why these motherfuckers shouldn't get shit in a brown paper bag, unless what they're getting is a smack in the mouth and told to go stand with their nose in a fucking corner until they think about what they just did and can come back and act like a real goddamn human being.

Or, as my Grandma would euphemistically call it an "Attitude Adjustment."

There's a thing I've been hearing said for awhile now.

"To those born with privilege, equality feels like oppression."

No, bullshit, stop saying that. The idea of equality in America goes way back before the last 50-60 years or so. It's not a recent invention, and social change is a constant. There's literally no way these motherfuckers don't know that. Stop expressing sympathy for assholes, even implicitly.

Seriously we need to bring back the ass whuppin for these people. If they will not have shame for their actions, they can be taught it. I sure was.

I'm sorry, but when I was coming up, for most of that time talking like this in public would end a person's career, as would talking this way in private if it got out.

Hell, I still remember when Trent Lott's political career came to an abrupt, crashing end over praise of Strom Thurmond and segregation.

Current Republicans are literally acting like they are personally aggrieved by accountability, democracy, equality and social change.

I mean, fuck. My Mom lives an hour away and if she found out I was talking like some of these Republicans are she'd drive over here and beat my ass and I'm 48 years old

I mean, like the motherfuckers whining about Lizzo last week. Come on, people, what the fuck is wrong with you?

I've had enough of this horse shit. And trust me, when my Mom used to say that, it was time to make tracks and hope the hell by the time you came back she forgot about whatever made her say that.

Seriously, don't these assholes have grandparents, or mothers? Or did their families just completely drop the ball on any form of home training?

If people thrive off conflict and resentment, give them all they want. Or as my Grandma also used to put it "If you don't stop crying I'm a give you something to cry about." It's actually worse, though. These fuckers want to LARP being persecuted and then use that as a fucking excuse to burn down America for real, and to hurt and kill very real people.

And they literally think if they can just acquire enough guns and political power that the rest of us will lick their jackboots and be like "Thank you, Sir. May I have another?" 

And if that doesn't work they're fine with turning America into Superpower Bosnia where both sides have nuclear weapons and causing a bloody civil war and the deaths of millions of people, just so they get some dirty little Banana Republic (that has to be subservient to and likely garrisoned by Russia) out of it, and some kind of a taste of the power that they want. 

I have a feeling that the elections in November are going to go badly for them. Hell, given candidate quality issues that they simply had to know going in, I wonder if they're expecting exactly that and planning on using electoral defeat as a pretext for insurrection and insurgency?

They don't care about anything else; Just so long as they get to have their boot on someone else's throat before they die. 

They don't care.

And they see racism as a vehicle for doing all this. I wonder how that'll work out when their strange desire to bow down before people like Vladimir Putin leads to forced Russification and young Slavic men with guns taking away the people like Dinesh D'Souza and Mayra Flores who even try to assert that there might, sometimes, be such a thing as multicultural conservatism?

How do you suppose the people who don't like LGBT stuff or real history or science would like it if their kids had to learn Russian in school, or if they had to convert to Russian Orthodoxy or some medieval form of Catholicism?

Because yes, such things will be the price of Banana Republicanism and trying to break away from the rest of us...and it's a safe bet that the main purpose of the place will actually be to give the Russian oligarchy a taste of Western life...even as our Enlightenment roots, freedoms, various social goods and every other aspect of Western life is taken away from the people who actually live there.

And given to people who could literally give a fuck whether or not those people, America, the West itself, and civilization lives or dies. Because they think they'll get something (other than being eaten by hordes of starving refugees) out of it if human civilization collapses.

And these fucking people are pitching Jackbooted Fascism and killing people and taking their stuff like some real person is going to look at that, for real, and say "Yeah sure, count me in. Yes! Take my freedom and social security and what little I have, Mr. Conservative Media Asshole. Sure, Mr. Rich Man who already has more money than ten generations of my family ever saw, you can have my tiny amount of wealth."

Seriously, at some point did the American Right just go all in on reading Pushkin and did I not get the damn memo?

I get that these assholes are fine with the idea of being a better class of slaves than all the other slaves, but what about the rest of us who'll fight back because we'd rather be dead than live that way? Who does that leave them to be a better class of slaves than? How the fuck do these ass clowns think they can run a society off "The cruelty's the point?"

It certainly isn't working very well for the Russians now, is it?

I get that these fuckers have decided they hate the Ukrainians and love the Russians because they like the idea of Russian cultural memes, but if all that is so great, why have 800,000+ Russians fled their own country at this point?

And in a country where the populace is as heavily armed as it is in the United States, what is there to keep such a society from becoming nothing more than endless cycles of murder, slavery and violence?

I've seen this movie before, and I don't think it'll end the way they think it will. I find it funny that all these soft-handed bitches for whom all this stuff is an intellectual exercise, who've never experienced real authoritarianism or fascism, think it's so great. And so many of the people who've lived under authoritarian rule of all kinds...and I've known a decent number of them...are the ones who want nothing more than to get away from it.

Very damned few of the people from Russia or Saudi Arabia or the wilds of Pakistan's frontier provinces ever wanted to go back to those places.

I mean, for fuck's sake one of the conservative cultural things of the early part of my life was the steady trickle of refugees from Communist countries, from countries conquered by the Communists like Cuba, Cambodia or Vietnam or places invaded by them like Afghanistan. We sure as hell didn't have a problem with those refugees, did we??

What the hell must it be like, to live in America...with everything we have here...and say "No, I want to live in a dictatorial shithole like Russia, or to make my own country be like that?"

I mean, seriously, how goddamned selfish do you even have to be??

I get that the internal logic of Conservatism has collapsed. I told you the psychotic break that resulted from this would be even worse.

And here we the fuck are.

Welcome to American Revelation.


Слава Україна!

When I am dead, bury me
In my beloved Ukraine,
My tomb upon a grave mound high
Amid the spreading plain,
So that the fields, the boundless steppes,
The Dnieper's plunging shore
My eyes could see, my ears could hear
The mighty river roar.
When from Ukraine the Dnieper bears
Into the deep blue sea
The blood of foes ... then will I leave
These hills and fertile fields --I'll leave them all and fly away
To the abode of God,
And then I'll pray .... 
But until that day I know nothing of God
Oh bury me, then rise ye up
And break your heavy chains
And water with the tyrants' blood
The freedom you have gained.
And in the great new family,
The family of the free,
With softly spoken, kindly word
Remember also me.

~Taras Shevchenko

No comments:

Post a Comment