Sunday, November 1, 2020

Economic Anxiety, Y'All (American Revelation; Final Judgment: The Sheep And The Goats.)

When the earliest settlers poured into a wild continent there was no one to ask them where they came from. The only question was: Were they sturdy enough to make the journey, were they strong enough to clear the land, were they enduring enough to make a home for freedom, and were they brave enough to die for liberty if it became necessary to do so? And so it has been through all the great and testing moments of American history. Our history this year we see in Vietnam. Men there are dying; men named Fernandez and Zajac and Zelinko and Mariano and McCormick. Neither the enemy who killed them nor the people whose independence they have fought to save ever asked them where they or their parents came from. They were all Americans. It was for free men and for America that they gave their all, they gave their lives and selves. By eliminating that same question as a test for immigration the Congress proves ourselves worthy of those men and worthy of our own traditions as a nation. ~Lyndon B. Johnson.

I just saw this tonight.

Should say, I did Nazi that coming.

J.D. Vance is worried about America's fertility, because it's Daylight Savings Time. I'm not sure how anybody could make that leap, personally.

But it seems like there's an awful lot of misogyny behind that statement, for one thing, and probably more than a little racism.

Which is kind of surprising to me that I had that thought, because I've actually read Hillbilly Elegy and I really didn't see very much of that sort of thing in the book. I'll grant you I didn't agree with a lot of J.D.'s conclusions, but I did see that there were a lot of times where he was willing to say shit that most people won't even touch, let alone do so from a conservative perspective.

He specifically attacked the old "Welfare Queen" stereotype, from the Right, and pointed out that of the "Welfare Queens" he's known...they're all White.

This has been my experience as well.

He also criticized the general lack of work ethic, even, perhaps especially among conservative White men. This is something I pretty regularly go off on both online and off.

So, yeah, seeing this was...well, that all too common shock these days of finding out that somebody you thought was intelligent is just another damn nut. I find this type of shit incredibly frustrating.

Not to mention, it's pure horse shit. I've probably had more sex during Daylight Savings Time than I have the rest of the year, in any given year throughout my life. For one thing, when I was younger I was usually working a lot in the summer. Also, I've been to college, and since a couple of those years coincided with my divorce and having an ex-wife that I was trying to piss off so she'd go away, well you do the math.

Perhaps more to the point, whose 'fertility' is adversely affected by Daylight Savings Time? Do White men become less horny in the fall? Do White women be like "No, honey, I don't wanna fuck, it's Daylight Savings Time. I have to mainline the Pumpkin Spice before it goes out of season again."

Also, does this supposed lack of fertility affect Black people, First Nations, or other People of Color also, or is it just White people?

I have questions.

Ya know, back in 2016 when Hillbilly Elegy was the hot new thing, Vance was often expressly presented by the media and looked at by conservatives and liberals alike as some kind of a Trump-Supporter-Whisperer, and he himself said he was both excited for and terrified by Trump and at times expressed much skepticism of Trump himself.

I'm here to tell you, people, not everybody who does that is your friend.

Of course, once the initial effort to "identify" with Trump Supporters fell apart in the face of revelations that no it wasn't "economic anxiety" or some desire for genuine change that led people to vote for Trump, but the same old-fashioned shitty racism, well, not long after that Vance faded from prominence and public attention and because nobody needs an Illiterate Goat Fucker Whisperer, we all know an illiterate goat fucker when we see one, and since it was one should've-been-crippling scandal a day at the time, hardly anybody even noticed, much less cared.

But when basically the next thing I see, several years later, is this kind of silly woo woo bullshit I'm going to think "Well, nothing of value was lost."

And please note this is what Trump-World considers an intellectual.

Proceed Accordingly.

VOTE.

Weekend Edition.


No comments:

Post a Comment