Monday, December 16, 2019

The ugly Orange truth.

Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass. ~Zechariah 9:9

You know, this whole attitude that some of these fucking people seem to have that Trump is basically Jesus has always seemed kind of fake to me.

The damned-near ecstatic, orgiastic worship of Trump that's broken out since the impeachment started seems even more contrived..

I mean, the cult is real enough, the messianic streak that both Trump and his followers have is real enough. The "We got caught, so we'll just go at it harder, even if it breaks the country." is true enough. I'm just saying that religion in general, and Evangelical Christianity in particular, was likely never anything more than a cover, or a means to an end. Very likely, the religion was always a lie. It might not be a lie that they'll admit to...even to themselves...but it is a lie nevertheless.

Unless of course, they all really are dumb enough to keep infinitely doubling down on this particular pair of twos.

It never ceases to amaze me how willing so many "Conservatives" have been to set everything they ever claimed to believe in on fire...for Trump of all fucking people. Speaking as a former conservative myself, the longer this goes on the less surprised I actually am that two out of three of the primary "Conservative" shibboleths...the Bible and the Constitution...have gotten thrown out the window and none of these fucking people that are left (or haven't been branded apostate by the mob) even care.

Let me tell you where this started, or perhaps more accurately the kind of person it started with and why.

I have this one ex-partner, the all in for Jesus, all or nothing Evangelical-Pentecostal type. I've known this woman for 20 years. We were pretty involved for about a year, we dated...or just plain fucked...off and on for years after. For most of that time I was a conservative. Despite her own beliefs being often weirdly extreme, she is not a Trump Supporter. (Note: Nobody is actually more surprised about that than me. This woman spent hours trying to convince me to vote Republican in 2008, not because of McCain but because she liked Palin.) She also lives primarily on child support and welfare...and always has.

We've been talking again lately, her current relationship isn't working out and I strongly suspect she's fishing for a replacement. I've been politely tolerating this for a few months, mainly because she really does need to get out and I know she won't get decent advice from anybody else in her life.

I caught her on her bullshit over the weekend. It was always the aside, the snarky comment at the end, or the minor drive-by comment where she slipped up and told you what she really wanted. She was like "God is going to pour out all this stuff...not for me of course...well maybe a little of it is." You see, it's all for Jesus of course...but it doesn't take long before the thought of "Hey, could I get some of that?" pops into these people's heads.

It's not about Christ, it's about glory, money, power and status. (See Also: Mike and "Mother" Pence.)

It's the same with the Self. It's not about me...until it is...and you have to be quick to catch the bait and switch.

After I caught her on it she got mad at first, until she figured out I wasn't impressed. Then, she was...pretty much with an air of "Oh shit, I got caught" suddenly penitent and wanting to be all buddy-buddy. I kept on her, and she'd boxed herself in to the point where she had to just take it. I thought it was fucking great.

But the truth is, American Christianity...particularly its Evangelical, Fundamentalist and Pentecostal strains...is full of people who go to church, or log in on the Web or tune in on TV, not to commune with God but to see the Pastor or some self-appointed equivalent that scratches their itching ears.

But what they really want to do is gaze at a reflection of themselves and their imagined religiosity that they use to justify it all.

It's much the same with Trumpism.

It's not really about Trump. He's just the avatar, the symbol of the moment. Trump is, as many people have opined, the symptom rather than the problem. The "Conservatives" true Messiah isn't actually Trump. And that, as I've said before, is why this will end in blood.

You'll notice who these fools are nominating to replace him after some kind of Unconstitutionally-inflated term in office, right?

Themselves.

It's always the bullshit asides and drive-by, throwaway comments where these kind of people reveal what's really going on in their heads.

For too many of these damned fools, Trump is nothing more than a political or religious self-insert.

Their real Messiah is, well, them.

And they're not even hiding it anymore.

But they'll sure get mad if you point it out. Then they'll want to be your best friend when they can't find a way to keep bullshitting you. Then they'll stick the knife in your back as soon as it's turned.

If you think these people will be any different on the subjects of Impeachment and Trump, you have another thing coming. That's why I say this will end in blood and fighting in the streets.

It's coming, watch your back.

I want to talk about me
Want to talk about I
Want to talk about number one
Oh my me my
What I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see
I like talking about you, you, you, you usually, but occasionally
I want to talk about me
I want to talk about me.

~Toby Keith.

No comments:

Post a Comment