Thursday, December 12, 2019

An open letter to House Republicans.

When the forces of oppression come to maintain themselves in power against established law; peace is considered already broken. ~Che Guevara

Dear Representative Jordan;

First of all, put on a coat, you look like a schmuck.

Second, I am an American person, a member of the body that you, without a hint of irony, refer to as "The People." I am a Democratic voter, a former Republican in fact. I voted for Hillary Clinton primarily because I do not like Mr. Trump, and I never have. He has always been a boor, a con artist, a liar and a racist, traits that I considered antithetical to my own Christian and conservative upbringing. I disliked him when I first became aware of him as a child. As a teenager, I was disgusted by his personal intervention in the Central Park Five case. I was a young conservative at the time, and the antics of people like Mr. Trump would be a part of why I registered to vote as a Republican when I was 18 years old.

And my hatred of evil conduct, lying, and racism is no small part of why I decided to vote Democrat in 2008 and would re-register as an Independent that year, and as a Democrat in 2016. My former party abandoned me, I did not abandon it.

It is for those reasons that I object strongly to your use of the term "The will of the People."

Sir, I have to ask, are you a Communist? Or do you have some manner of alignment with Vladimir Putin's Neo-Soviet regime? Or do you endorse the conduct of that regime and its revival of Stalin's personality cult and whitewashing of the conduct of the Soviet state?

I was raised to a great extent by my grandparents who told me about things like McCarthyism and the Army-McCarthy hearings. Have you no sense of decency, sir?

I grew up watching movies like Rambo and Rocky and Red Dawn and the mentality of "Better Dead Than Red" was still a part of my cultural background, most especially because I was a conservative kid in a conservative family and the grandson of Cold War military veterans.

So I'll ask again, are you a Communist?

Why? Because that was how Communists talked. They always cited some amorphous, unspecified body referred to as "The People" to provide ideological cover for their regimes. Even today, the world is littered with "The People's" this or "Popular" that, in both current Communist states like China, Cuba, and Vietnam and formerly East Bloc aligned states like Angola or Laos or Sudan. But do you seriously think that the People's Armed Police or the People's Liberation Army in Communist China exist to serve and protect their nation's Constitution, the law and the people, as our own armed forces and police do? Or do they exist solely to protect the State, including from its own citizens?

I submit that the term "The Will Of The People" is nothing but empty words, a shibboleth, a thought-stopper intended for naught but a lame attempt to silence dissent, or in the case of our current national legal matters, legitimate Constitutional processes that it is your duty to participate in, in good faith with the interest of your country considered paramount...rather than the interests of the Putin's Russia or the Republican Party or your donors or of Donald Trump on a personal level.

When people swear an oath to the Constitution, it is their duty to represent or to serve ALL Americans, not just the ones who voted for them. Members of the other party or of no party at all, and the immigrant or the native-born at all, those who vote for you or the other guy or those who have never bothered to exercise their right to vote at all are The People, regardless of race or religion, just as much as your own voters are.

Our founders defined America in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution as "WE The People" not in terms of the "Will" of one specific faction or group.

There has, in the last few months, come to be something very Soviet about the conduct of the Republican Party, and speaking as a middle-aged American who grew up in the shadow of the later Cold War and who cheered when Reagan said "Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate, Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" and did so again when that wall came down a bare few years later, that is not a complement.

And until that changes, I consider you, your colleagues and the President all to be unfit to hold public office of any sort whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment