Friday, July 26, 2019

Repenting For Republicanism.

Consulate Guy: There must be some mistake!
Murtaugh: Say what?
Consulate Guy: Listen to your friend here, I think he knows what he's talking about. You don't want to go to South Africa.
Murtaugh: Why not?
Consulate Guy: B...Because you're Black.
Leo: You are. [to Consulate Guy] He is.
Murtaugh: Of course I'm Black, that's why I want to go to South Africa, to join my oppressed brothers and take up the struggle against the tyranny of the racist, fascist, white minority regime! One man, one vote! FREE SOUTH AFRICA YOU DUMB SON OF A BITCH!
~From Lethal Weapon 2.

It's official.

As of this week, Republicans have basically become the villains of every Republican-authored, big-screen pro-America morality play from the 1980's, in which at least half of the actors were usually Republicans.

This last week or so, much like Joe Scarborough above, my Twitter feed has been full of people saying, in effect "God forgive me for ever being a Republican."

Hell, I've basically said as much myself.

Joe's sentiment came out of the discussions about Robert Mueller's testimony before Congress.

For myself, I've seen this crap building up more and more over the last few years.

Last night I was moved to absolute rage by the fact that some old biddy in a North Carolina restaurant was caught using the N-word in reference to two other patrons and when called on it, she said she'd do it again.

And aren't these the same fucking people who keep trying to act like Racism is something that "The Left" is just making up?

For much of the time when I was coming up, the Republicans were still for the most part, the party of facts and reality and having a moral compass 20 years ago, there was a cottage industry among conservatives bashing Political Correctness and Postmodernism and openly making fun of what we thought of as the other side's "Do whatever you want" mentality and lack of fixed values. Media from the evening news to the much-younger Internet was ablaze with such critiques, shelves in bookstores Christian and secular alike groaned under the weight of volumes about this debate.

Now?

Rush Limbaugh, leading PC-critic from the 1990's, is somehow trying to claim that Barack Obama and Kamala Harris are not African-Americans.

I mean, Dafuq?

Yo, just sayin' Rush, my own old-school conservative upbringing tells me that if my eyes and ears and personal knowledge of the culture I live in click on "This person is African-American" when I see them...yeah I'm probably gonna go with that instead of some crackpot internet conspiracy theory.

It's a lot less mental work, for one thing.

But under Trump, "Conservatives" are engaging in levels of postmodern woo woo bullshit that "The Left" of the 1990's would have never even thought of.

There are no facts or reality, there is only Trump, who has apparently become their god.

Apparently, he is not omnipotent, and his enablers at Turning Point USA were not smart enough to spot an obviously, yet cleverly, altered Presidential Seal that mocked Trump.

God, but I'm getting really tired of stupid people.

Oh, wait, did I say that out loud?

Too bad. Fuck your feelings, snowflake.

I'm serious, what the hell is wrong with these people? Minnesota Republicans put up some kind of kleptomaniac shoplifter who's facing felony shoplifting charges and who has previous convictions for drunk driving and fleeing from the police, and who has stolen some 267 items.

And here's the kicker. This lady, Danielle Stella, is a Special Education teacher.

That's right, somebody somewhere trusts this drunk, this thief, with their kids. Seriously, have Republicans given any thought whatever to what they're teaching young people with all this ridiculous bad behavior?

Somehow, I don't think Representative Omar has that much to worry about, at least not if that mess is the Republicans' ideal of a quality candidate.

She's pretty damned popular in her state and particularly in her own district...which I already knew as I have a number of friends and relatives who live in Minnesota.

If these people don't get their ass kicked up one side and down the other in the next election, it'll be severe political malpractice.

In any case, I too would like to say God forgive me for ever having been a Republican.

I no longer recognize these people, their values, or even their idea of what leadership looks like.

In fact, I was in most cases taught the opposite from how things are now. And I'm fine with that.

The values I was taught as a young conservative Christian Republican are totally absent from the Republican Party as it is today.

In point of fact, most of those values make me a Democrat now, and firmly so, it's not even close.

And you know what? I'm just fine with that, too


No comments:

Post a Comment