Sunday, August 26, 2018

Under the wide and starry sky...

Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.
This be the verse you ‘grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.
    - Requiem,
 Robert Louis Stevenson


John McCain died last night.

I can't help but feel like the last shreds of the Republican Party as I knew it died with him.

Fair winds and following seas, Captain. What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Fuck you, Senator. Oh, wait, did I say that out loud?

Full disclosure: John McCain was the last Republican presidential candidate I seriously considered voting for. In the end, I couldn't stomach the rise of conspiracy theories, racism, religious extremism (Thanks, Sarah) and various nutty anti-Obama conspiracy theories nor the unwillingness on the part of Republicans to crack down on that crap.

In the end I voted for Obama and I'm glad I did. Why? After having spent the last decade watching the shit-show that is the modern Republican Party unfold I want nothing more to do with that crap.

I spent a couple hours this morning slogging through the feeds of various Fox News personalities to see what the Comment Section was saying. I find it ironic and sad that the people showing John McCain respect are the Democrats, Liberals, #NeverTrump Republicans and not a few Vietnamese people. It's ironic that the people whose ancestors tortured John McCain at the Hoa Lo Prison (The "Hanoi Hilton") for five years after he was shot down and captured are showing McCain more respect than one HELL of a lot of the people who wanted him Sarah Palin to be President of the United States in 2008. I think that's pretty fuckin' sad.

Instead of McCain's old-school Republicanism, this is what we get, Republican candidate Kelli Ward (AKA Chemtrail Kelli) who is running to replace Jeff Flake, accused McCain and family of announcing that he was forgoing further medical care...basically dying...just to derail her senate campaign.

As Rick said: Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, Kelli. It bears mentioning, again, that Rick Wilson is a Republican.

This is what the Republican Party has come to, performative evil and stupid shit. Republicanism is now Michael Cohen and Paul Manafort being declared guilty at the same time, one by plea bargain and the other after trial by jury. Republicanism is Duncan Hunter and his wife committing $250,000 dollars worth of campaign fraud and racking up nearly $40,000 in overdraft fees from their bank, being indicted for it, and then blaming the "Deep State" for their own stupidity. Fun fact: Hunter is also trying to throw his wife under the bus now.

I wanted...tried...to post about that this week but I couldn't put anything to a keyboard I felt like publishing. Yes, sometimes the stupid can be that overwhelming.

Republicanism is Donald Trump. That Guy, who responds to someone's death by posting a picture of himself and a creepy greeting-card like statement on Instagram and Twitter. It's also worth noting that while the 43rd President, George W. Bush, and the 44th President, Barack Obama, were specifically asked to deliver eulogies and speak at John McCain's funeral...the 45th, said embodiment of modern Republicanism, was not invited. According to at least one Twitter post by a #QAnon nut that I saw, that means John McCain is a "Hateful Person."

I wouldn't want these motherfuckers represented at my funeral either, nor their leader present. Hell, I've had to correct more than one person's posts about the fire on USS Forrestal, that's how fucked we are. Hint: The person posting the idiotic meme was a Trump Supporter, who from their pic looked old enough to have heard about the fire on the evening news.

If that makes me a "Hateful person" in the eyes of the Q-nuts then so be it. I've never particularly wanted to be liked by stupid people.


Rest in peace, John Sidney McCain III.

The Old Men Shouting At Clouds, Saul Tigh demographic will be poorer for no longer having you in it.

Not that a lot of your fellow Republicans will notice, right now half the Republican Base is on Twitter maligning you as some kind of agent of the "Deep State" or something something gazpacho.

Fuck them.


Part Two.



No comments:

Post a Comment