Thursday, December 14, 2017

The Rime of the Ancient Republican.

The ship was cheered, the harbour cleared
Merrily did we drop.
Below the Kirk, below the hill
Below the lighthouse top.

So, on Tuesday, Doug Jones was elected in Alabama. Roy Moore got his ass handed to him on a plate, not least because Black turnout was absolutely sky high...as one might expect considering that Jones prosecuted the perpetrators of the 1960s 16th Street Baptist church bombing in 2000.

Despite having had my laptop stolen just over a week ago  followed along and I posted as much as I was able to on Facebook and Twitter using my phone. I have a replacement on the way but with some Christmas money I got a tablet to serve as a backup.

Then yesterday while I was getting ready to go to bed I caught part of Trump's speech on this tax cut they want to pass, also known as adding a trillion and a half dollars to the national debt in order to give corporations and the wealthy a tax cut, claiming that the middle class will get some too. OK, say you pay a couple thousand less in taxes but they gut the individual mandate in the Affordable Care Act? You're going to lose much more than you're saving as soon as somebody gets sick...and your grandkids will get to pay it all off IF they have jobs.

Not to mention Republicans have already said they want to cut Medicare and Social Security next, not to mention gutting the Internet, National Parks, people's rights, various environmental protections and Veterans benefits next. Now, I used to be a Conservative but such an agenda is offensive to me now and would have been so 20 years ago as well.

If you don't think they'll eventually come for your guns and the vote you're wrong. People like Trump are never satisfied, they want total surrender.

...But it is a human tendency to resist, and Americans expect a certain standard of living, which is above the Third World designs these Republicans have for us...

Not to mention, Trump giving a speech when he's not screaming at a rally-crowd of cousin fuckers sounds like Chloroform, enunciated, but I digress.

I can't imagine how anybody finds that fool inspiring.

At length did cross an Albatross,
And through the fog it came.
As if it had been a Christian soul
We hailed it in God's name.
It ate the food it never had eat
And round and round it flew
The ice did split with a thunder fit
The helmsman steered us through!

So, Now that Doug Jones won the Republicans are hurriedly trying to pass this tax shit before he's seated...in addition to gutting Net Neutrality today, all to try and get their rich backers a tax cut for a while and steal more money before they get booted out of office by an angry public... And they know it's coming.

Chances are they're going to trip over their own dicks and screw up.

Understand one thing. Taxes are how the government makes its money, that it uses to do things like enforce laws, fuel Navy ships, provide health care for the aged and disabled and regulate markets to keep the rich from robbing us blind more than they already do.

In case there was any doubt, it's that last one that's the real problem. Never mind that government protects rich people too. They don't care, and if this has sparked any thought you've already thought about it more than they have... As my friend Aaron is always pointing out to me...

You know, I don't really have a lot but when I figured out some years ago that people who have more money than I could ever spend wanted my stuff too? It pissed me off.

I'm not rich but I'm not poor either, as I'll get into later in subsequent posts it's actually pretty damned expensive to be poor. Thus, people like me are a problem...

God save thee ancient mariner
From the fiends that plague thee thus
Why looks thou so? With my crossbow
I shot the albatross.

Now look here, these Republicans and rich people and these idiots who support them are basically cooking the golden goose that made them what they are in the first place because somehow to their minds it didn't shit out enough money, or they're worried that somebody they don't like might get some. If that sounds shitty to you...good.

It is shitty, there is no other way to describe it.

Americans, mostly white Americans, have a history of enabling absolutely reprehensible sociopathic behavior... And now that some of us are waking up and seeing what nonwhite Americans and the rest of the world have been telling us for years, things, they are starting to change.

The Democrats, basically, are like the Monty Python "Argument clinic" sketch right now... And the Republicans are more or less the Smokers from Waterworld, and reality just dropped a flare into the fuel tanks.

Ah well a day what evil looks
I had from old and young.
Instead of the cross the albatross
Around my neck was hung.

If we don't hold the Republicans and the wealthy to account, which means turning out to vote like they did in Alabama every single time for as long as it takes, we cannot expect to remain a free people. We need to hang all this crazy, wrong shit around their necks like the fucking albatross...

...And vote the bastards out, like our life depends on it,

Because it does.


No comments:

Post a Comment